Thursday, November 23, 2006

A New Tradition

While Detroit may have America's Thanksgiving Parade, New York can boast that it has Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Semantically, both are Turkey Day traditions; but, each parade has a completely separate audience (unless you're watching both at home, flipping channels).

When I was younger, I remember (one time) watching America's Thanksgiving Parade from a perch, perhaps on my dad's shoulders, near Grand Circus Park, Detroit, as the parade rolled down Woodward Avenue. This year, I was able to watch the Macy's parade from Central Park, New York City. Despite the rain, wind, and overall depressing weather, thousands of New Yorkers (and those visiting the City) turned out to take part in this eighty-year-old American tradition.

All the regulars were on hand: Snoopy, Garfield, and Big Bird, just to name a few. Oh, and marching bands galore.

Some of the characters and floats were new to me, especially the Disney- and Nickelodeon-themed ones. I'm just not up to speed with what the kids are into these days. I do know who Dora the Explorer is, though. Luckily, I was standing next to a family with kids—ages four, seven, and ten—to fill me in on who was coming up next.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience. I would recommend it to anyone who finds him/herself in the city on this Mid-Afternoon Dinner holiday.

Speaking of a mid-afternoon dinner, I had to rush home during the parade (hoping that I'd make the less-than-punctual holiday-schedule trains) so I could watch a little football and then head out for some turkey. Yes, I will be having turkey, and perhaps some standard seasonal accompaniments today. That puts my turkey tally at two in the last four years! Usually, it's the movies while everyone begins their mid-afternoon dinners, followed by pizza. I'll try to sneak in the theater afterward. Unfortunately, there is no new Harry Potter movie for the family to see, together, today. I'll have to check the listings to see what would be the Robinson Family choice.

Get your glutton on. And go Lions!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home